Construction materials testing, pavement & special inspections
Owners, architects, engineers and general contractors associated with any construction project require information to increase their confidence that the construction practices and materials utilized meet the project specifications, construction drawings, and local building codes. Through our services, NOVA provides the design team and the owner with critical information for the evaluation of the life safety aspects of the construction project. When these services are properly performed, they can positively impact the project, both during construction and throughout the useful life of the structure.
NOVA’s Construction Materials Testing and Inspection Services
- Concrete and Asphalt Mix Designs and Mix Verifications
- Deep Foundations, including piles and caissons
- Pavements, including concrete and asphalt
- Batch Plant Inspections, including concrete and asphalt
- Pre- and Post-Tensioned Concrete
- Structural Steel
- Fabrication Shop, including precast concrete and structural steel
- Nondestructive examinations of structural steel, including ultrasonic, magnetic particle, liquid penetrant
- Wood Framing
- Laboratory Testing for:
- Structural Steel
- Misc. Foundation Construction Services, including:
- Static and Dynamic Load Testing
- Pile Integrity Testing
- Threshold Inspections
- Stormwater Monitoring and Consulting Services
- Statistical Analysis of Concrete Mixes
- Soil-Cement Mix Designs and Mix Verifications
- Lime/Soil Stabilization Testing and Monitoring
- Pavement Evaluation/Assessment and Failure Investigations
- Floor Flatness/Levelness Profiling
- Dewatering System Design and Installation Observance
- Pre-Blast Surveys and Blast Vibration Recording
- Code Compliance and Constructability Plan Review
NOVA provides full-service construction materials testing and consulting services utilizing its fully-accredited laboratories (either AASHTO, A2LA, CCRL, CMEC or US Corp of Engineers accredited/validated).
Building envelope & roof consulting
The performance of the building envelope is critical for the structural integrity, durability and effective operation of any structure. Performance failure due to uncontrolled moisture intrusion, heat or air flow can compromise a building. From pre-construction consulting, mock-up and jobsite testing, fabrication and jobsite quality control inspection, to post-construction investigations, assessments and surveys, NOVA’s proven professionals are known for their ability to recognize and troubleshoot problematic glass and glazing, roofing and waterproofing issues before such adversely impacts budgets and schedules.
- Develop and review concept and preliminary design, shop drawings and specifications
- Review wind tunnel testing and analysis of results
- Develop preliminary roofing and waterproofing design
- Prepare performance specifications and details
- Analyze alternate cladding, roofing and waterproofing systems
- Review of bid and contract documents
- Assist with bid analysis and subcontractor selection
- Develop and/or review Operations and Maintenance Manuals
Assessment and Remedial Consulting
- Perform due diligence/pre-purchase inspections, assessments and evaluations
- Conduct water intrusion investigations, which includes remedial repair plan development
- Assess glass and glazing, roofing and waterproofing system failures and develop remedial repair plans
- Evaluate condition and failure of exterior wall cladding systems
- Provide concept and design development and inspections for window replacement and building re-cladding
- Provide expert witness consultant services
- Review curtain wall, window and door mock-up shop drawings and test procedures
- Witness, oversee and assist with preliminary and formal mock-up tests and results
- Prepare comprehensive mock-up test report
Jobsite Inspection and Testing
- Conduct construction code compliance and forensic inspections
- Document structural integrity, weather resistance and code compliance of installed products and systems
- Document compliance with contract documents, manufacturer instructions and recommendations
- Prepare reports identifying deviations from approved drawings, structural calculations and laboratory test reports
- Review and evaluate proposed remedial action and document that repairs are properly implemented
Florida private provider & plan review
When local building departments are inundated and unable to review plans or provide inspections in a timely fashion, NOVA offers construction managers, developers and owners an alternative through our fully-licensed and experienced FS §468 staff of plan examiners, inspectors and certified building officials.
Florida Statutes allow the fee owner or contractor of a project the option of using a Private Provider to provide the mandatory building code compliance plans review and inspections for the structural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing components of a building. NOVA has a large pool of Florida Statute §468 certified plan reviewers and inspectors that continually meet the industry’s demand for high quality and timely service. NOVA’s Private Provider staff includes Florida-registered professional engineers who oversee the duties of our plan examiners, inspectors and certified building officials.
Private Provider Program Benefits
- If local building officials do not issue comments regarding the Private Provider plan review within 30 days, the permit application shall be deemed approved and the permit must be issued.
- NOVA routinely provides inspection services within 24 hours of the request, but is available outside normal business hours and can respond within 4 hours if critical to the project schedule.
- Private Provider ServicesTM is a welcomed alternative in the municipal process and is the single most advantageous piece of legislation for the construction industry in years.
- NOVA is one of the most experienced and efficient Private Providers in the state with significant market share, having worked in over 70 municipalities throughout the state to date.
Municipal & building department support
NOVA provides professional support services to meet the fluctuating demands of municipalities. Qualified professionals at NOVA can provide support staff to supplement existing municipal operations or provide the entire staff needed to manage and operate every aspect of a building department. At NOVA, we pride ourselves on having the ability to custom tailor our support services to the exact needs of each municipality that we serve.
NOVA’s Building Code Administrators, Plans Examiners and Inspectors are focused on providing an exceptional level of service for municipalities of any size or type. As a result of years of successful experience providing code compliance inspection, plans review and municipal support services, NOVA’s licensed professional staff has established an excellent reputation for having and maintaining an in-depth knowledge of the latest building codes and code developments. NOVA has provided plan review, code compliance inspections and municipal support services to numerous municipalities and school districts. Please contact us for our most current listing of clients and client references.
Our staff includes:
- Building Code Administrators (Building Officials)
- Certified Plans Examiners
- Multi-disciplined Licensed Inspectors
- Single and Multi Family, Commercial
- Disaster Damage Assessment Professionals